1x Conversion Advice

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I recently purchased a 2014 Kona Kahuna Deluxe. I listed specs below.

After never using the small chainring and wanting to de-clutter, I’ve decided to go for the 1x conversion. (I’m on the east coast riding mostly SC,NC, GA)

I have a couple questions:

1. I have to purchase a RD with clutch (I understand this to be the best option for ensuring no chain issues) Do I simply purchase the Deore Shadow Plus, or should I upgrade to SLX or XT? Money is not an issue, but I’m not a racer or anything so no point in upgrading just to upgrade. What makes sense based on other bike specs?

2. Is the 32t narrow wide the most common entry-point to the 1x conversion, or should I look at larger 34, 36t, etc.??

FRAME MATERIAL Kona Race Light 6061 Aluminum Butted
      SIZES 15", 17", 19", 21"
      REAR SHOCK n/a
      FORK RockShox Recon Gold TK Solo Air 100mm Tapered QR15
      CRANKARMS Shimano Deore
      CHAINRINGS 24/38t
      B/B Shimano Deore
      PEDALS Wellgo Platform
      CHAIN KMC X10
      FREEWHEEL Shimano Deore 11-36t 10 spd
      CHAINGUIDE n/a
      F/D Shimano Deore
      R/D Shimano Deore
      SHIFTERS Shimano Deore
      BRAKE CALIPERS Shimano Deore
      FRONT BRAKE ROTOR Shimano Deore 180mm (centerlock)
      REAR BRAKE ROTOR Shimano Deore 160mm (centerlock)
      BRAKE LEVERS Shimano Deore
      HEADSET FSA No.57B-1
      HANDLEBAR Kona XC/BC Riser
      STEM Kona XC/Road
      SEATPOST Kona Double Clamp w/offset
      SEAT CLAMP Kona Clamp
      GRIPS Kona Race Light LOG
      SADDLE WTB Volt Sport
      FRONT HUB Shimano Deore QR15
      REAR HUB Shimano Deore
      SPOKES Stainless 14g
      RIMS WTB ST i19 TCS
      FRONT TIRE Maxxis Ikon 29×2.2" Folding
      REAR TIRE Maxxis Ikon 29×2.2" Folding
      PAINT COLOR Matt Charcoal w/White, Cyan & Grey
      EXTRAS n/a

seems like most guys I know just put a narrow wide on the front and call it a day. Number of teeth is totally up to you, whatever you feel comfortable with. Ex. you may want a 34t for your front, but me doing other things with my bike and being a different person, chose to ride a 25t in the front and a 10t in the back (single speed). Gearing is all about the ratios, if I was you, I’d decide which of the front gears you use now you like more and decide if you want more or less teeth… Like if you have a 36t and a 28t in your front and decide to go single chain ring in front, I’d find something between the two personally, like a 32t. Again, it’s pretty dependant on what you like, how you ride and all that.

I went with a 1X10 set up this year,, 32 on the front and added a 42t wolfstooth on the back. Hardly ever use the 42 but its there instead of the small front chain ring. AWESOME setup, ditched the front defailer and shifter,, added a left dropper and Im good to go

To get the ratio right, you will just have to ride and adjust. If you are getting the narrow wide, it goes up to a 38 but the bash guard is fitted to a 36. Most people I have spoke to use 36 for that reason, I have a 38 and will probably move to 36. For the rear, I have 15 on for daily rides, but hold 12,16,18 on standby in case I have a specific destination in mind. Personally I have rode all over eastern NC and VA with 38 x15. Would not try that out west though. If you are in need of a rear conversion kit, wheelsmfg .com has two great options and the godspeed tensioner off Amazon is fairly decent. Also, make sure the front ring gear you select will clear your frame, converted my buddy’s Specialized Rockhopper and 36 was the biggest that fits.

JBX

I would go with shadow plus xt. I had deore shawdow plus and broke the clutch on 2, I went xt with no issues.
      A narrow wide 32-36 depending on your climbing prowess
      With this setup no guide is needed, enjoy
      Plus you lose a pound in weight

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.