Newbie here

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Newbie here

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Hello all. Turning 40 in a month or so, I figured I needed yet another adrenaline junkie type hobby to keep me going for the next few decades. 5 or 6 of us that work at the same fire station began months ago riding the greenways before work. Now I’ve gotten a small taste of mtb out at Concord, and I’m hooked! Getting started cheap with an old rigid Fuji, it’s easy to see (feel) that I need to get some suspension under me soon. Are the Wednesday night rides at Concord still active? Thanks!

Welcome to the site and the sport! I’m sure that Fuji will be updated soon!

Where is Concord?

Wow cool. You’re youngish in this sport. I didn’t start till 44, and it seems to be fairly common if not typical. Welcome and have fun shopping. My first two impressions of the sport were it’s a good way to break your phool neck, and I want more. Be careful out there.
      I’d check with local bike shops for group rides, or look around the net for user groups. There’re some regional forums father down the list here.

Welcome to the sport!

welcome!!.. 40s not too late to start, I started when I was 42 😃 and that was last summer.

You guys are spring chickens. I started when I was 58. After a summer of riding I can say I am really enjoying mountain biking… of course, I no longer have use of my right arm or shoulder, I have no skin left on either knees or elbows, and my azz hurts all the time. I’m thinking of trying an intermediate trail this weekend….

"muadiib" wrote

You guys are spring chickens. I started when I was 58. After a summer of riding I can say I am really enjoying mountain biking… of course, I no longer have use of my right arm or shoulder, I have no skin left on either knees or elbows, and my azz hurts all the time. I’m thinking of trying an intermediate trail this weekend….

😆 Good post! What a way to get started mountain biking!

Warm welcome "Newbie". The great thing is that it is never too late to get started. My dad started when he was 50 and absolutely loves it. The only problem is that no matter who you are, everyone seems to have to pay their "entry fee" of bumps, bruises, and breaks when they begin riding. At 50+ that is a little more concerning.

Oh Puuuleeze! I Started at 63 and can outride many of you "older young guys" or is it "younger old guys" Ha! I have my suspicions that my 20 years younger riding buddy sometimes isn’t really working as hard as he makes it sound!
      You picked a great sport. Keep it up!

Welcome. I’m sort of new myself maybe three years. I love it.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.