Wednesday Wisdom

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Wednesday Wisdom

--
SHARES

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author

If you transport your bike(s) with a roof mounted rack and also normally park inside a garage with bikes on board, the risk of driving into the garage is very real the consequences are severe. Here are a couple of ways to help prevent this from happening.

If you have a clip-on garage door remote, remove it from your visor and toss it in the glove box. When you arrive home, having to go search for it will remind you that you have bikes up top.

If your car has a built-in remote, pull something out to obstruct your path. I find that a lawn chair or the trash bin works great for this.

You park in your garage?! Out here in California they’re only used for storage! Or in my case, bike parking.

"gar29" wrote

You park in your garage?! Out here in California they’re only used for storage! Or in my case, bike parking.

No, but my wife does and sometimes I take her car to rides. 😎

A big garage was HIGH on the list of things we wanted when shopping for a house. We found one too. We can fit both cars, all the bikes (up to 6 right now), all the lawn care equipment, and a decent size work bench.

Both of us driving Honda Civics helps for sure 😆

"dgaddis" wrote

A big garage was HIGH on the list of things we wanted when shopping for a house. We found one too. We can fit both cars, all the bikes (up to 6 right now), all the lawn care equipment, and a decent size work bench.

Both of us driving Honda Civics helps for sure 😆

You are my hero! 😆 I have a big 2500 crew cab Chevy and a Monte Carlo, so neither is small. I could fit the car in there, but it would take up bike space 😳 Hate to cramp their style! 8 bikes for us, thats 4 for me, 2 for my son, 1 for my wife and one smaller spare bike. The wife keeps telling me I need to sell one or two. Ummmmm, no! 😄

Luckily I’m too small to get my bike on top of my car. 110- lbs and 5’0.5" vs. an X3…not gonna happen.
      besides, my bikes are small enough to fit inside the car. Though I would like a hitch rack so I can give a lift to more than myself and one other person and our bikes.

And, I keep my bikes in my bedroom. Sometimes in the closet. 😛

You can also make a note that hangs from your rearview mirror that says bikes on roof or something like that, for when you are carrying bikes.

With all my bikes and the kids band set up only my wife little car fits. I did hit a roof rack once in a parking garage.

"Stl_Greaser" wrote

You can also make a note that hangs from your rearview mirror that says bikes on roof or something like that, for when you are carrying bikes.

I don’t habitually look at my rear view mirror as I’m driving forward into a garage.

Yeah, but you can make it to where it stands out in you peripheral vision.

Then stencil a little image of a bike with an arrow pointing up on your front wind shield at the very very top so it’s mostly out of the way but still noticeable.

I don’t get it?!?!? How would or could you forget you have bikes on top of your vehicle (car or truck)? Just does not make any sense…. 😆 😆 😆

Look, I am not a spring chicken anymore (by worldly standards that is….lol), however, I can never forget (neither have I) that my bikes are on top of my vehicle or in the back of my truck. Just ludicrous (foolish, ridiculous, laughable, absurd, funny, and comical) to do so…. 😆

Reminds me of that car insurance commercial where one of the incidents is a guy running right into his garage with his two bikes mounted on top of his vehicle. That was too funny…. 😆

Good wisdom for today……"Use Common Sense"

Even if it hurts….. 😆

"SCHucker" wrote

I don’t get it?!?!? How would or could you forget you have bikes on top of your vehicle (car or truck)? Just does not make any sense…. 😆 😆 😆

Look, I am not a spring chicken anymore (by worldly standards that is….lol), however, I can never forget (neither have I) that my bikes are on top of my vehicle or in the back of my truck. Just ludicrous (foolish, ridiculous, laughable, absurd, funny, and comical) to do so…. 😆

Reminds me of that car insurance commercial where one of the incidents is a guy running right into his garage with his two bikes mounted on top of his vehicle. That was too funny…. 😆

Even if it hurts….. 😆

It happens all the time dude. Especially if you do a long ride and come home utterly exhuasted, your only thoughs are on food, shower, and sleep (not necessarily in that order!).

I know a very smart guy who forgot his $9,000 Cannondale was top of his car and drove it into his garage. It only takes a moment of inattention. Unless you have your bike on the roof more often than not, it’s an easy mistake to make.

I use a hitch rack, for lots of reasons, and this is one of them.

of course it happens man.

maybe we should design a sensor that is mounted to the top of the garage opening. So when you pull up to it it measures the height of your car, basically seeing if you have something on the roof or not, and if there is then 1. when you press the garage door button it won’t open for you or 2. if the garage door is open and you try to drive in, it’ll shut the door on you. Basically not allowing you in. Till what ever is above the car is taken off and the sensor doesn’t detect a height issue anymore.

Ta-da?
      *copy rights idea*

I put my bike upright in the back of a Toyota pickup. It will not go in a parking garage. I have nightmares about that. 😢

"Ginny_Tory" wrote

maybe we should design a sensor that is mounted to the top of the garage opening. So when you pull up to it it measures the height of your car, basically seeing if you have something on the roof or not, and if there is then 1. when you press the garage door button it won’t open for you or 2. if the garage door is open and you try to drive in, it’ll shut the door on you. Basically not allowing you in. Till what ever is above the car is taken off and the sensor doesn’t detect a height issue anymore.

Ta-da?
      *copy rights idea*

There is such a thing already, Jeff wrote about it on the blog a year or so ago. I can’t find the post just now though.

"dgaddis" wrote

[quote="SCHucker":x4xltwom]I don’t get it?!?!? How would or could you forget you have bikes on top of your vehicle (car or truck)? Just does not make any sense…. 😆 😆 😆

Even if it hurts….. 😆

It happens all the time dude. Especially if you do a long ride and come home utterly exhuasted, your only thoughs are on food, shower, and sleep (not necessarily in that order!).

I know a very smart guy who forgot his $9,000 Cannondale was top of his car and drove it into his garage. It only takes a moment of inattention. Unless you have your bike on the roof more often than not, it’s an easy mistake to make.

I use a hitch rack, for lots of reasons, and this is one of them.[/quote:x4xltwom]

Maybe so ‘dgaddis’, but still, even being totally exhausted from a short or long ride (which I have been soooo many times). I just cannot see this happening unless "Common Sense" is NOT applied. Just saying… 😉

I mostly load mine in a rack in the back of my truck (both wheels attached to the bike), and even within the truck or on top of the car, I am always aware they are there and quite present. As I mentioned previously, I am no spring chicken in worldly terms (older by body though young at heart), so my memory is not as sharp nor adhering as it used to be…. 😆

A bike that cost a grand or more should never be forgotten about on top or in the rear of a vehicle. The rear can be just as devastating as the top if you are not paying attention or observing, especially others around you. Many careless people out there that just lack a lot or even a bit of "Common Sense" 😉

Just saying man…. 😃 So said….Todays word of advise…. "Use Common Sense!" 😆

Ride in Moab for 8-10 hours, then drive 6 hours back to Denver, in your wife’s car, when you don’t normally park in the garage anyway. It’s now about midnight, you’re bone-tired, you pull in with the car that you don’t normally drive, and that doesn’t normally have bikes on it … CRUNCH.

For the record, I have never done it, but I know people who have.

In fact, I know two people who have driven bikes into an overhang, and I know two others who got rear-ended while using hitch mount carriers.

Nothing is 100% safe, and a little bit of mitigation goes a long way, since it only takes once.

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="Ginny_Tory":15bddjrf]maybe we should design a sensor that is mounted to the top of the garage opening. So when you pull up to it it measures the height of your car, basically seeing if you have something on the roof or not, and if there is then 1. when you press the garage door button it won’t open for you or 2. if the garage door is open and you try to drive in, it’ll shut the door on you. Basically not allowing you in. Till what ever is above the car is taken off and the sensor doesn’t detect a height issue anymore.

Ta-da?
      *copy rights idea*

There is such a thing already, Jeff wrote about it on the blog a year or so ago. I can’t find the post just now though.[/quote:15bddjrf]

Aw, damn. I could have gotten rich! 😢 😛

"SCHucker" wrote

Maybe so ‘dgaddis’, but still, even being totally exhausted from a short or long ride (which I have been soooo many times). I just cannot see this happening unless "Common Sense" is NOT applied. Just saying… 😉

I mostly load mine in a rack in the back of my truck (both wheels attached to the bike), and even within the truck or on top of the car, I am always aware they are there and quite present. As I mentioned previously, I am no spring chicken in worldly terms (older by body though young at heart), so my memory is not as sharp nor adhering as it used to be…. 😆

A bike that cost a grand or more should never be forgotten about on top or in the rear of a vehicle. The rear can be just as devastating as the top if you are not paying attention or observing, especially others around you. Many careless people out there that just lack a lot or even a bit of "Common Sense" 😉

Just saying man…. 😃 So said….Todays word of advise…. "Use Common Sense!" 😆

Humans are very habitual creatures and we routinely slip into auto-pilot. If you usually pull your vehicle into the garage without bikes on top, your default reaction to pulling into the driveway is to pull into the garage. Taking an extra 5-10 seconds to potentially save a few thousand dollars seems like one would be using "common sense."

I would say that things like fast food drive thrus, banks, and parking garages are even MORE dangerous. What do you do about those?

Also, hitch rack isn’t the best, as maddslacker mentioned. Know what this means? Time to buy a pickup and put them in the bed 😄

"mtbgreg1" wrote

I would say that things like fast food drive thrus, banks, and parking garages are even MORE dangerous. What do you do about those?

Here in Denver Metro South 99% of the drivethrus are constructed to allow for rooftop stuff, and those that are old and therefore still low have a PVC pipe hanging down to let you know before you get in too deep.

"maddslacker" wrote

In fact, I know two people who have driven bikes into an overhang, and I know two others who got rear-ended while using hitch mount carriers.

😢 Never thought about that. Good point. Now I may need to rethink where I’m gonna put my bikes…

"Ginny_Tory" wrote

[quote="maddslacker":3hj0mvlz]In fact, I know two people who have driven bikes into an overhang, and I know two others who got rear-ended while using hitch mount carriers.

😢 Never thought about that. Good point. Now I may need to rethink where I’m gonna put my bikes…[/quote:3hj0mvlz]

I have a hitch carrier on my car and I get nervous every time I stop at a red light.

I give myself plenty of room in front of me to pull forward (or jump into the next lane) if the need arises, but it’s still nerve wrecking.

"Jared13" wrote

I have a hitch carrier on my car and I get nervous every time I stop at a red light.

I give myself plenty of room in front of me to pull forward (or jump into the next lane) if the need arises, but it’s still nerve wrecking.

Hahaha….So very true ‘Jared13’

Thus why I like my inside the bed set-up in my truck bed. No worries their unless I flip or over turn the truck. I had once been rear ended by an old man at a convenience store (7-Eleven) parked. He just turned into the rear of my vehicle with two bikes mounted the rear. Thank goodness he only damaged just one of the wheels instead of both bikes and rear end of my vehicle. The old man did not even have any vehicle insurance as well, so it was a sweet sizable cash in hand ending for me and a ticket for him…hahaha. 😄

"SCHucker" wrote

[quote="Jared13":2vcl1iej]I have a hitch carrier on my car and I get nervous every time I stop at a red light.

Hahaha….So very true ‘Jared13’

Thus why I like my inside the bed set-up in my truck bed. No worries their unless I flip or over turn the truck. I had once been rear ended by an old man at a convenience store (7-Eleven) parked. He just turned into the rear of my vehicle with two bikes mounted the rear. Thank goodness he only damaged just one of the wheels instead of both bikes and rear end of my vehicle. The old man did not even have any vehicle insurance as well, so it was a sweet sizable cash in hand ending for me and a ticket for him…hahaha. 😄[/quote:2vcl1iej]

Yep, that doesn’t make me feel better. So can’t physically put a bike ontop of my car and hitch racks can get rear ended…Now where can I put my bikes? 😢

"Ginny_Tory" wrote

Yep, that doesn’t make me feel better. So can’t physically put a bike ontop of my car and hitch racks can get rear ended…Now where can I put my bikes? 😢

I see a much more growing trend with bikes mounted on the roof of the car than on the rear mounts these days, especially up here in Upstate SC. I prefer on the roof than on the rear mounts, because then it comes down to my own intelligence/common sense than hoping for the best with some one else’s NON-intelligence/common sense. Sorry, but just WAY TOO MANY careless drivers out there these days… 😕 😠 to put my bikes into jeopardy… 😆

In the long run, in the bed of my truck is the safest. I have a dual Yakima roof mount rack attached to the inside flooring in the bed of my truck, and it is rock solid with room to place four more bikes around the two mounts in the bed. 😉

We’re Thinking about Car racks right now, and this exact thought crossed my mind.
      Ginny_Torry: Foot Stool:)
      Good news about a Rear End hit is that it should be on them and their insurance, assuming it gets handled.

As far as moving the door opener, how about zip lock bag atached to the bike some how?

You could even go so far as to put yourself up a PVC thing, Or one of those tennis balls on a string but attach to the base of the door on the way out so when opened it hangs in the threshold.

SCHucker: I love very dry humor loL.

No problems here, homemade and cost under $50!

As useful as a truck would be…the gas would be an ouch.

"Bubblehead10MM" wrote

Ginny_Torry: Foot Stool:)

Hahahaha, well…it is a valid idea…
      I just got to Auckland last night and the hostel’s bike storage was a row of hooks on the wall. Even though my bike’s carbon and a feather, I still had a bit of trouble coordinating myself in getting the bike settled. Maybe I was just tired from the travel…I don’t know.
      If I get a roof mount then I’d need a full on ladder.

Viewing 29 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.