NOOB

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hey everyone, just wanted to intro myself. I am 30 years old and new to the scene. I was invited for a " easy ride" by a buddy of mine, so I grabbed my W**M*** Schwinn, thinking I had a real bike under me, and hit the trail. Needless to say, a few miles in, I was learning what a easy ride meant to him. I was cursing under my breath the whole time, while, simultaniously huffing and puffing like a freight train… I am also about 40 lbs overweight. So after a few more miles, I was about to die, but I was hooked. I rode that Schwinn for a few more rides, until I couldnt take the grip shifts anymore and begged my wife for a new ride. Im not what I would call rich…. so a Diamondback Overdrive 29er was a splurge. I am slowly upgrading my ride, crank, derailleirs,shifter, saddle, clamp… as my big butt has folded a few cheapos. I love the sport, love the friends I am making and most of all, love that most people dont seem to care what brand your riding, what size wheels your on, we are all just out there to have a good time. Look forward to swapping stories and making new friends here.

Welcome to Singletracks and the sport! Don’t worry, most of us started on bikes that were, shall we say, less than ideal! One thing that does is let you appreciate your new bike all that much more. One of the great things about a better bike, like your DB, is you are able to upgrade/fix it as you go along. Can’t really do that with the super cheap bikes.

I’ve been riding for 13 years. For the first 10 years of that I was going around on really crap walmart bikes cause I’m in 5 sports and a photographer and botanist. Meaning I have too much gear I need and not enough money. I finally got around after 10 years to a point where I got enough money and had enough gear for everything else to finally get myself what I actually always dreamed of. So don’t worry about what your riding. Crap bikes actually just make it more of a fun challenge. And if you start doing well on lower end bikes, once you upgrade, you’ll be really well off. Better than those who were spoiled from the first place.

Welcome! I started on an old Trek 820 Singletrack that I bought on CL for 75.00! I kick myself for ever getting rid of it. You’ll soon have the bug and want more and better gear! ENJOY!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.