disc brakes

Tagged: 

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Looking to upgrade disc brakes on my Fuji Outland 29er- stock ones =bad. any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Check out Jeff’s blog about brakes from Feb. 7th. It is a really good write up and give some good points to think about!

[url:2lo7gx4y]http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-gear/mountain-bike-brakes-buyers-guide/[/url:2lo7gx4y]

Welcome pizzadog.

"pizzadog" wrote

Looking to upgrade disc brakes on my Fuji Outland 29er- stock ones =bad. any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

What brakes do you currently have and what is bad about them, feel, power?
      What are you looking for out of new brakes other then being able to stop 😀

"pizzadog" wrote

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Any hydraulic setup from Hayes.

"jtorlando25" wrote

[quote="pizzadog":1fv1k6zm]any suggestions would be appreciated.

Any hydraulic setup from Hayes.[/quote:1fv1k6zm]

and NOTHING hydraulic from Avid.

"dgaddis" wrote

crap, I forgot that part. YES what he said. 😄

"dgaddis" wrote

Yes Avid’s are notorious for being noisy and needing to be bleed often. But in saying this I have mainly run Avid brakes Juicy 3/7, Elixier CR and now new 2012 Codes and have not really had that much of an issue with any of them. They are not as bleed friendly as some of the others on the market, but once you figure out how to do it, they’re a snap. Running organic pads have reduced the amount of noisy to almost nothing. I started out using Juicy 7’s on my DH bike and they did the job, yes they heated up and faded a bit in the steeper sections but what brake doesn’t when you ride the crap out of them because you’re a wimp!!

Just my 2 cents

Admittedly, I run Avids too. I have Elixir 7s on my trail bike and Codes on my dh rig. I run them because they came stock and they are the only components on either bike that I have on my list as NEEDING to be upgraded. I’ve had to hammer avid rotors straight for myself and friends more times than I can count, bleeding is a nightmore and even my LBS can’t get the Elixirs right. This leads to lock ups and fading on the regular. They make noise when they get dirty like all brake pads but other than that they’re at least quiet lol.

However, I run Hayes Strokers on my hardtail. The Hayes are smoother, stronger, fade less, more quiet, easier to bleed, and the rotors are thicker which = less coming out of true.

doublepost :?:

I’m currently demo’ing some Shimano SLX brakes for the blog. Between these and all the various XT ones I rode at Outerbike has made me a Shimano fanboi.

Do the Shimano disks still require a different hub than the standard bolt pattern on Hayes, Avid? I want to get rid of my old, stock, Hayes HFX Mag, which suck, btw. I’ve had horrible issues with the lever reach screws backing out, requiring me to have to adjust the brakes after a short time of an even moderate downhill run. When the screw backs out, the lever winds up going to the bar and reducing the amount of stopping power.

"gar29" wrote

Do the Shimano disks still require a different hub than the standard bolt pattern on Hayes, Avid?

No, they support either CenterLock ot standard 6-bolt setups now.

"jtorlando25" wrote

I run Avids too. I have Elixir 7s on my trail bike and Codes on my dh rig.

Which codes do you have, the new shinny silver ones?

If they are the above mentioned ones I’m surprised you would have them on your needing to be upgraded list. I have heard nothing but good things about them. The have a tonne of stopping power and fade is next to nothing at all.
      But everyone has there likes and dislikes..
      As for rotors Avid has improved the rotors in the last couple of years, they don’t seem to be as flimsy.

"maddslacker" wrote

I’m currently demo’ing some Shimano SLX brakes for the blog. Between these and all the various XT ones I rode at Outerbike has made me a Shimano fanboi.

If I had the cash right now I would be all over the new XTR trail levers mated with the new saint caliper!!

Looking forward to your review. Shimano’s brake line up looks really good and from what I’ve heard and read perform even better..

"slipfinger" wrote

If they are the above mentioned ones I’m surprised you would have them on your needing to be upgraded list. I have heard nothing but good things about them. The have a tonne of stopping power and fade is next to nothing at all.
      But everyone has there likes and dislikes..
      As for rotors Avid has improved the rotors in the last couple of years, they don’t seem to be as flimsy.

2012 Code R. They’re not really shiney, like a dark gray. The modulation is nice…I like the real light touch required to stop but that’s about it. They still fade more than any Hayes brake I’ve used (and I’ve noticed that after only a handful of rides on the new bike) and I dread the day I have to bleed them. Their new rotors are still flimsy compared to a thick Hayes. We have lots of roots here and I have to true my rotors at least once a month.

I’m speaking solely from experience and basing none of my likes or dislikes on what I’ve read online or in a magazine. I make no mention of Shimano because I have never ridden a bike with their brakes on it. The stuff does look great though!

I can’t comments on the Hayes or the newest Shimano products as I have never physically used them. If I ever get a chance to try out some Hayes I will give them a go for sure, and as already mentioned I would jump all over the new XTR`s with out hesitation..

2012 Code R. They’re not really shiney, like a dark gray.

If and when you decide to part with these hit me up with a PM maybe we can make a deal…

"slipfinger" wrote

2012 Code R. They’re not really shiney, like a dark gray.

If and when you decide to part with these hit me up with a PM maybe we can make a deal…[/quote]
      Sure dude! 😀

I upgraded from Hayes to Shimano XT with the new Ice Tech rotors a year and a half ago and I absolutely LOVE them! They are silent, extremely (and easily) adjustable, very easy to bleed (which I’ve only had to do once), and have awesome modulation. Remember that Shimano generally takes last year’s XTR technology and puts it into this year’s XT components. That way you get XTR quality for XT price! Can’t say enough good things about them! 😃

Guys I hate making a new thread for a simple question, I have a 203mm front/185mm rear, I want to switch both to 160mm, I am all XC/no downhill, is this as simple as removing the adapter and swapping rotors?

CP1
      "sebastien" wrote

Guys I hate making a new thread for a simple question, I have a 203mm front/185mm rear, I want to switch both to 160mm, I am all XC/no downhill, is this as simple as removing the adapter and swapping rotors?

Unless your fork only accepts a 203 rotor (like my Totem), then all you need to do is mount your calipers to your 74mm posts or use a adapter for a 51 or 54mm posts/tabs on your fork. You will only need the 51 or 54mm adapter to attach your brake caliper to your rear frame tabs. You may want to run 170 up front and 160 in the rear though, as you will get better braking power with the larger rotor up front. Anyways, good luck man. 😃

THANKS for all the good info, my Fuji outland was first bike with disc brakes,needless to say i was not impressed with the braking the TEKTRO auriga pros provided. noisy, weak stopping power. i have rode MTBs since the early 90’s and had been told how much better the discs would be over V brakes. maybe was just expecting too much!

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.