13 mi of trails flagged in Chatt-Bend State Park, GA

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

http://www.times-herald.com/local/Bike- … —2031727

Mountain bikers near Chattahoochee Bend State Park in Coweta County southwest of Atlanta, GA have rallied together, formed their own organization, and are working with officials to build a 13 mile mountain bike trail in the park.

The mountain bike network “will consist of five loops of varying distance and difficulty, ranging from a short loop for families with young children looking for their first off-road biking experience, to long difficult back country trails that experienced riders will enjoy,” Edmonson said.

The trails have been laid out in a sustainable manner following the standards of the International Mountain Biking Association, Edmonson said.

“This type of trail will take more time to build, but once it is completed, it will be easier to maintain,” he said. “Eventually we would like to make Chattahoochee Bend State Park a mountain biking destination for the region and not just a trail people ride once and then never return” to.

Great to see even more trails being built here in GA!

I actually went hiking at Chattahoochee Bend SP a few weeks ago and the park facilities are top notch. It’s sorta weird really – like this brand new, multi-million dollar state park just landed in the middle of nowhere. Apparently the GA state budget problems aren’t as bad as I thought!

The park is surprisingly remote – a good 30 minutes off I-85 – and an hour and a half from downtown Atlanta. There is some decent topography, though the hiking trails near the river are flat and sandy.

It’ll be exciting to see a real MTB trail network develop out here. There are a ton of camping sites and even platform tents, cabins, and adirondacks available. Once the MTB trails are in I’ll definitely be back!

with current trends as soon as mt bikers raise the money and build the trail, the state will come in and target them to pay additional fees to ride it.

Or the equestrians will get them banned noutright. 😆

"maddslacker" wrote

Or the equestrians will get them banned noutright. 😆

I didn’t mention this in my post, but in the article the park officials were quoted that there would be separate trail systems for bikers, horses, and hikers. I’m not sure if I think that’s cool, or if it’s just plain overkill…

We have some systems like that here, and it’s awesome.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

I didn’t mention this in my post, but in the article the park officials were quoted that there would be separate trail systems for bikers, horses, and hikers. I’m not sure if I think that’s cool, or if it’s just plain overkill…

If it’s done right, separate trails are a good idea. If it’s done wrong, you get places like Yellow River where the trails intersect every 100 yards and you have to keep stopping to read the signs to stay on the MTB trail.

There has been a real push to upgrade/build good trails closer to the downtown Atlanta area in the last four or five years and things really seem to be coming together: Sope Creek, Allatoona creek, Big Creek, Waterworks/Mason Mill, Chattahoochee Bend, Ira Melton, Mt Tabor.

Still waiting on the NPS to sign the bill and open up the new stuff at Sope Creek, but the federal government has never been one to move quickly.

Looks like we can look forward to some more riding ITP (Inside The Perimeter for those of you who aren’t familiar) with the addition of a proposed mtb park near the Cascade area of the west side. Can’t wait!

Good article about planning progress for trails at Chattahoochee Bend State Park.

http://times-herald.com/news/2017/05/plan-shows-44-miles-of-possible-bike-trails

Interesting tidbits:

• Trail Solutions created a plan for up to 44 miles of trails
      • The hope is to create a destination trail system comparable to Coldwater (thought the terrain at Chattahoochee Bend is rolling at best, definitely not a mountain like Coldwater.)

I can’t wait until this actually happens.  I’ve heard talk of biking trails there for quite a long time.  The only drawback to this place though is it’s not convenient to get to from any direction.

A full decade later and…….still nothing…

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.