Introduction

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Introduction

--
SHARES

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jeff Barber 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Hi. I’ve had an account here for a while, but just got a subscription for the trails and hopefully find some riders nearby. I rode two trails yesterday, one I knew about the other I would have never found. It was a great time and I thank the site for having a healthy set of maps and trail details. I have two questions.

1. What is an air bridge?

2. If I’m an intermediate rider and I try a black diamond, could I die or would I just not have a good time?

Hey man, welcome!

I assume by the term "air bridge" is meant a wooden bridge up in the air.

Also, as for a black diamond trail, I’d start by reading the description and reviews. Most likely you will not die–perhaps you’ll not be able to ride some really rocky sections, or will have to ride around some of the more serious obstacles. However, it is your responsibility and yours alone to always ride in control, and to know when to attempt to challenge yourself on something and when to pass it by.

Hope this helps!

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Hey man, welcome!

I assume by the term "air bridge" is meant a wooden bridge up in the air.

Also, as for a black diamond trail, I’d start by reading the description and reviews. Most likely you will not die–perhaps you’ll not be able to ride some really rocky sections, or will have to ride around some of the more serious obstacles. However, it is your responsibility and yours alone to always ride in control, and to know when to attempt to challenge yourself on something and when to pass it by.

Hope this helps!

I thought air bridge might be some kind of bunny hop maneuver as it’s only listed in the higher degree trails.

Thanks for your advice and concern on the black diamonds. I’m not too proud to walk around something. I just didn’t want to find myself on a trail where there’s a 100 foot drop off and the trail is only 6 inches wide. That kind of extreme.

I just didn’t want to find myself on a trail where there’s a 100 foot drop off and the trail is only 6 inches wide. That kind of extreme.

Well, that could definitely happen though. All depends on where you are and what trail you’re riding. No two trails are the same.

In my experience, trail ratings are *usually* overstated so it’s rare for intermediate riders to find themselves in truly dangerous situations, even on black diamond trails. The reviews and photos here on Singletracks can also help you understand the nature of the difficulty. As always, ride in control and if something looks dangerous, walk around it or head back the way you came. 😀

Many times the difficulty of the trail is really dictated by the speed you carry on the trail. Take things slow the first time you ride a black diamond and if it’s rideable, try speeding things up the next time. You’ll be an expert rider in no time!