FNG…

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Hello folks, just picked up a Giant Revel 0 (all black) and loving it so far. I live in Fayetteville, NC and unfortunately not too many good trails locally so as I get better I will start to travel a little. I do have one question. My seat is all the way down but I would like it a little lower. Is it possible to either get a shorter seat post or cut about 2 inches off the one I have? Thanks…

Welcome to the site!

As I understand it, this is the way to make sure you can cut some off your seat post.
      Pull your seat post all the way out. There should be a "Minimum Insertion Depth" or something like that written on the seat post. Measure how far that line is from the end of the seat post. Let’s say that is 3 inches from the bottom. Now measure how far the seat post is inserted when it’s all the way down. Let’s say that’s 6 inches from the bottom.

That means you could cut 3 inches and still maintain that minimum 3 inches of seat post in the seat tube.

I wouldn’t cut it that much off of it though. If you need it two inches shorter, cut the two inches off. This way you have a little extra seat post for security, in case you grow, or in case you loan/sell it to someone taller.

Now I really feel like a FNG, I coulda just pulled the seat post out and gave it a look…

An appropriately sized tubing cutter is great for this, and makes a straighter, cleaner cut than a hacksaw. Just make sure to advance the cutting wheel very slowly, making lots of turns. Advancing it too fast makes the end of the tube bulge slightly, which can make it hard to fit it back into the seat tube.

I use this method for bars, seat tubes and steerer tubes. (if they are alloy)

Why do you want to cut your post shorter? Is it so long that your hips are rocking off of the saddle when you pedal?

I was assuming it needed to be dropped for downhill.

"maddslacker" wrote

I was assuming it needed to be dropped for downhill.

Yeah I was thinking that, but just had a hard time thinking that the post was slammed all the way and that still wasn’t enough room to move above it. If we were talking about a DH bike, then sure I can understand chopping the post, but this is a hardtail. I’d just be worried about cutting it down TOO much.

To the OP, make sure you don’t cut off too much post and end up having to buy a new one.

Thanks folks for all the replies and suggestions.

So you are saying the seat is adjusted all the way down in the seat tube but could go down farther still but the seat post is to long and needs to be cut shorter?

I find that hard to belive because that would be a long seat post. I have never seen a seat post spec ed longer than the seat tube.

Are you sure the seat tube isnt already bottomed out on the seat post clamp? If so cutting it down isnt going to get it any lower.

"troythe8th" wrote

So you are saying the seat is adjusted all the way down in the seat tube but could go down farther still but the seat post is to long and needs to be cut shorter?

I find that hard to belive because that would be a long seat post. I have never seen a seat post spec ed longer than the seat tube.

Are you sure the seat tube isnt already bottomed out on the seat post clamp? If so cutting it down isnt going to get it any lower.

On my Stumpjumper, the seat tube would be bottomed out and the seat would still be ~4 inches above the clamp.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.