New bike

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

My name is Josh and i am a intern at Eliquid media (great place) and the owner (Mr. Cool who also designed the bike) is holding a contest to win a roundtail bike. To enter the contest go to http://www.winaroundtail.com/ happy biking 😛

Beware the company that doesn’t find the weight of the bike to be information that might be good to know.

What is the purpose of such a thing?

"mtbgreg1" wrote

What is the purpose of such a thing?

Its more art then a ride-able bike! Would love to see this concept in a townie!!

Thank you for the posts and i will clarify some things. The is only slightly heavier (250 grams) and is more then just a nice looking bike. It is fully functional and the purpose of the design is to reduce strain on the rider. It provides more than 10 times the vertical compliance of a standard double-diamond frame, and the ring design absorbs 60 times more road vibrations. Here is a link to videos about people who ride the bike and love it. http://www.youtube.com/user/louTortola/videos?view=0 If i draw your attention to half way down the first page to the winter garden videos or at the top of the second page the Delray Beach Twilight Festival you will see that its not just my opinion that the roundtail bike is worth riding.

"JayGee" wrote

Thank you for the posts and i will clarify some things. The is only slightly heavier (250 grams) and is more then just a nice looking bike. It is fully functional and the purpose of the design is to reduce strain on the rider. It provides more than 10 times the vertical compliance of a standard double-diamond frame, and the ring design absorbs 60 times more road vibrations. Here is a link to videos about people who ride the bike and love it. http://www.youtube.com/user/louTortola/videos?view=0 If i draw your attention to half way down the first page to the winter garden videos or at the top of the second page the Delray Beach Twilight Festival you will see that its not just my opinion that the roundtail bike is worth riding.

Only 250 grams heavier than what, exactly?

The traditional diamond frame

"mtbgreg1" wrote

You’ll notice that the name of the bike is also left blank. In his copying and pasting, he forgot to enter the important stuff. This often happens when you’re dealing with posting the same thing to a bunch of forums. Check out this Google search. It seems James has been a very busy boy.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

It’s 250 grams heavier than a can of SPAM!

If you are going to point it out can you at least get my name right. Its Josh not James. Only the initial statement is copy and paste thank you and everything else is all me hence the mistakes. Also doesnt change the fact that roundtail bike is really cool.

"JayGee" wrote

The traditional diamond frame

There’s no such thing as a standard weight, though. Each frame weighs a different amount…

"JayGee" wrote

If you are going to point it out can you at least get my name right. Its Josh not James.

Please accept my heartfelt apology, Joseph.

Math time! I measured each leg on my rear triangle and got (roughly) 54" of material (of course the seat tube is a single tube while the other two are doubles). A circle that touches the same 3 points on my triangle would need to be 65.32 inches around – roughly a 21% increase in material.

So, if we say half the weight of a frame is in the rear triangle (the only things that are left are the top, down, and stem tubes, all singles) that adds 10% to the overall weight of the frame. If a frame weighs 2.5 kg (a little more than 5 lbs) then there’s your 250 grams.

Moral of the story: better to use percentages when talking about frame weight differences. Bike frames are all different sizes and made from different materials so a 10% increase on a 3lb. carbon frame is much less than 250 grams. But a 10% increase on a steel Wal-Mart bike could easily add a pound to the bike.

[i:2rsl9kxz]It was my understanding that there would be no math.[/i:2rsl9kxz]

"trek7k" wrote

Math time! I measured each leg on my rear triangle and got (roughly) 54" of material (of course the seat tube is a single tube while the other two are doubles). A circle that touches the same 3 points on my triangle would need to be 65.32 inches around – roughly a 21% increase in material.

So, if we say half the weight of a frame is in the rear triangle (the only things that are left are the top, down, and stem tubes, all singles) that adds 10% to the overall weight of the frame. If a frame weighs 2.5 kg (a little more than 5 lbs) then there’s your 250 grams.

Moral of the story: better to use percentages when talking about frame weight differences. Bike frames are all different sizes and made from different materials so a 10% increase on a 3lb. carbon frame is much less than 250 grams. But a 10% increase on a steel Wal-Mart bike could easily add a pound to the bike.

Thank you for elucidating the issue!

Thing is, a 5 pound frame seems like it’s pretty heavy for a road bike. Some modern carbon MTB frames are less than 3 pounds. So if we were to see an increase of 250 grams on one of those that would be a lot of weight added on to a previously light frame, OR we’re talking about adding 250 grams to a frame that’s already excessively heavy, in which case many people wouldn’t be interested in the frame to begin with.

So by my calculation, we have two options:
      1) Bike was too heavy to begin with and the addition of the circles on the back just made it that much heavier.
      2) Bike was light to begin with, but the addition of the circles on the back totally threw the attraction of the lightweight frame out the window.

Which is it?

I think I’ll stick with my Nickel.

"schwim" wrote

Beware the company that doesn’t find the weight of the bike to be information that might be good to know.

Giant doesn’t publish their bike weights either.

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="schwim":1kb3g4kk]Beware the company that doesn’t find the weight of the bike to be information that might be good to know.

Giant doesn’t publish their bike weights either.[/quote:1kb3g4kk]

I guess the difference is with Giant, thousands of owners have shared it for them while you might be waiting a bit for a happy owner of a hoop bike to chime in with the information.

I was checking out the rules of the contest…

"The Winner will be sent a skill testing 4-part mathematics question to be answered within 1 hour."

So it IS all about math….

Such an awesome thread. I laughed, I cried, and I might even have found the biggest douchebag to ever visit a forum and only post 4 times.

"JayGee" wrote

My name is Josh and i am a intern at Eliquid media (great place) and the owner (Mr. Cool who also designed the bike) is holding a contest to win a roundtail bike. To enter the contest go to http://www.winaroundtail.com/ happy biking 😛

JOSH if you and Mr. Cool want to just give me a roundtail ill accept, maybe even write up a review!

just saying…

Viewing 20 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.