Re: Thinking of Going Tubeless

Manndex22,

I’m not sure which Giant bike you are referring to, but I have a 2010 XTC2 29’er that I had converted to tubeless and all I can say is DEFINITELY DO IT!! My bike came with Kenda Karma’s which are good tires, but they are not the beefiest of tire because I think Giant was trying to keep the overall weight of the bike down. I was getting flats all the time, which I usually don’t mind changing a flat, but the P-XC29 rims it came with are so deep and stiff that it was always an intense long struggle to get that last bit of tire over the edge of the rim and sit. I got sick of wasting so much of my rides on fixing a flat that I decided to go tubeless. I’m not the most mechancial person either and I wanted it done right so I had my local bike shop pick out the tires and get it done. So glad I did, they outfitted me with some really fat Maxxis Ardent’s that are badass in anything (it’s crucial to get a tire with beefy sidewalls). Also even my bike shop had a really hard time with the rims getting the tires to sit right and get the stan’s to set up. No way could I have done it without an air compressor. Once they got it finished, it was rock solid. In the last 8 months I’ve only had one flat. The one time I did have a flat it wasn’t a total fail since the stan’s was still working to try and seal it, so it was a more controlled and gradual flat that I could stop and repump to cripple back to the car. I do always keep a spare tube in my pack, but I’ve fortunately been able to avoid having to use it. The one flat I had was because it had been awhile since I put more stan’s in (you or your shop should put more in about every 3-4 months to be sure). Tubes are a thing of the past, I’ll never go back! It’s improved my ride tremendously in terms of performance, confidence, comfort and most importantly FUN since I’m not spending a good part of my ride fixing a flat!