Re: what do you ride with?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum what do you ride with? Re: what do you ride with?

I’m 27 and I’d never broke any bones or had any serious wounds until last summer. A lot of bruises and scrapes as a kid, but nothing that ever required more than basic first aid.

In the last four years I took up downhill skiing, motorbiking, and mountain biking. After this, I started telling people that my retirement savings plan was a tree fund – I would never have to pay for retirement, because I was almost certain to hit a tree before reaching retirement, It was just a question of when, lol.

The trees have yet to do any amount of damage to me, but a year ago tomorrow I hit a car that pulled out in front of me without warning. I was travelling at the same pace as the cars around me, and there was nothing I could do. If I’d been in my SUV, the woman driving that car might be dead and I might be fine. As it was, I was on my R1, and despite its excellent brakes, I went right over her car. Ruptured my spleen, collapsed a lung and broke six bones. She walked away, and later fought the $172.50 ticket for not yielding to through traffic.

It took two months until I could get back on my mountain bike and I’m still not quite 100%, but I’m close enough that I can’t use my injuries as an excuse anymore.

I’m still counting on the tree fund to take care of retirement, but I plan on having as much fun as possible between now and then 😀