Re: Tired of blowing my fork, need experienced recommendatio

I know how you feel bro. I am 6’4” 245 myself. I learned the hard way that as a heavier guy you will always have problems with lower end forks. It WILL NOT be better with a Tora. I tried it and it will fail too. Not as quick as the Dart but will fail the same. I had a Specialized FSR Comp with a Tora and after tacoing both my rims, trashing the fork, and bending the frame(not all on the same ride) I talked to a bike mechanic who has worked with some pro riders over the years. He enlighetned me to some wisdom I will try to keep it short. 1) As a heavy guy you need at least 120mm of travel to protect the wheels, frame, etc., a full-suspension bike will help. 2) A better quality fork and bike will be needed, because better quality wheels, forks. etc. generally hold up to abuse better. 3) Your brake pads will wear out faster than everyone else. You will need to keep a closer on your bike for wear and will have to change out other components more often than lighter guys. 4) Most riders will give you wisdom about bikes and parts not taking into account how heavy you are.
My advice is to bite the bullet and buy a mid-level or higher bike. You can get bikes at most bike shops "same-as-cash" so if you can’t shell out $2500 plus for a rig you can still get it while paying $100 to $150 a month with no interest. I was torn between getting a Rumblefish or a Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29. I went with the Stumpjumper. It has 120mm front 130mm rear travel. The Dual Air Reba and Fox Triad are air cutom tunable so you can set them up for your heavier weight. I have ridden the crap out of my Stumpy 29er for two years and the only thing I have had to replace are my brake pads and a rear derailer cable. Just my opinion, but I wish a heavier guy would have dropped a little advice on me.