Re: Upgrades on 2002-ish Trek 4300 Alpha?

"darlyj" wrote

Hi Everyone..

I bought a Trek 4300 Alpha back in 2002-ish from a local dealer to use for my commute to college. I graduated, had kids and the bike has had only rare use until last fall when I started riding around the neighborhood and dirt roads for fun. I’m now ready to try some single-track stuff (maybe beginner downhill tracks at Sunrise, too) this summer, but would really like to do a few upgrades…especially the fork.

My level is definitely begginer, and I’m wondering if a lock-out fork would be a good idea in order to have something solid for hill-climbing but not be beat to death on downhills or washboard-y roads. Or am I getting ahead of myself? What do any of you suggest in the fork department?

What would you all suggest for components for someone more interested in strength and reliability vs. the lightest thing on the market? Well, without having a fifty pound bike that is. 😉 Thanks everyone!

Hey man, in my opinion save some money and buy a bike that you can progress into. I think if you upgrade a Trek 4300 series in the long run you would be better off saving for a bike that can last for some time. Not trying to be negative toward your bike, but I just helped my friend shop for his bike and we were giving the advice to buy something that you can grow into skill wise. What I am saying is I don’t think it’s worth the money to upgrade on a 4300.
What you think?