Reply To: Bought a new derailleur

I was going to try installing it today until I realized that I need to break my chain in order to remove the other derailleur. I was looking at some chain breakers yesterday and I thought to myself that I would probably need one sometime, but I didn’t buy one. There is a guy around here that’s been working on bikes for 22 years. I’ll probably just take the thing to him and get it installed the right way.

Over here in Germany there is this place called Stadler. It is a bike super center. I’d say it is about as large as a Wal-Mart without the food section. It is pretty cool. Most of the derailleurs were hanging on a rack and they didn’t come with a box or manual or anything. I tried to find one with a box but I didn’t have any luck. I picked mine up for 89.99 Euros. It turns out that it’s about $126 American. Everywhere I look online has the thing going for $170-$200. I guess I got a decent deal. Now I need to get a new front one too. The one I have now was messed up when I got the bike. The right limiter screw can’t reach the stopper thing and I keep shifting the chain off the side of the chain ring.