Reply To: RS1 Rock Shox Help!

Welcome aboard TragedysMantra…………

Well, from your pics I do believe your right about your shock being a RS1. The first thing you have to consider is that these shocks were made from the late 80’s into the early 90’s and are severely outdated. Parts are expensive and hard to find. these shocks do not operate on air and are not oil filled/dampened. They are also completely non adjustable and in my opinion (unless being used for a vintage build up) useless. Chances are the main springs inside the stanchions (shock bodies) have either been completely removed in order to make the bike rigid or severely damaged. In either case I would have to assume for the cost of repair, it would be cheaper to buy a new or used shock through ebay or some other online store. A good replacement for the RS1 would be the J1 or J2, DART 1,2 or 3, or DUKE Race which can all be picked up rather cheap on ebay. Your best bet before making any serious decisions would be to consult your LBS first. Other than that if the bike still functions fine you definitely got a killer deal, even if you do have to replace the fork. Hope this helps a little. Once again welcome aboard, good luck, and enjoy the ride 😄