Reply To: Injury Hall of Fame

Back in ’93 I and a friend were pre-riding a race course in North Cheyenne Canyon, west of Colorado Springs (Capt. Jacks). He was a XC rider and I was a DH’er and when we go t to the downhill portion, he moved out of the way and I shot past him like a rocket. I remember coming up to a bend and I remember looking down at my cyclo-computer (42mph) and that was also the last thing I remember as I went into the curve I lost traction and went down. My friend told me later that he saw me up, then a cloud of dust. He said it looked like I exploded. He helped me up, retreived my bike and we finished the ride, at a much slower pace, of course. When we returned to the parking area, I remember my socks being red (blood from my highly damaged knees and legs) and removing rocks from underneath my skin. Apparently we were also talking to a couple other riders, but I don’t recall that. About 3 years later, while living in Durango, I was talking to some people at my favorite LBS (Hassle Free Sports) and I related that same story. One of the guys at the store said "that was you?" "I was one of the guys talking to you at the trailhead". He even described my friends vehicle, so I believe him. I had a concusiion and some gnarley cuts and punctures but nothing serious. I’ve never broken anyting and have been very lucky in all of my crashes. It is my belief that my training as a paratrooper, which taught me the proper way to fall in an emergency, has kept me from doing any serious damage.