Reply To: help on making fast turns without loosing the front end.

Forums Mountain Bike Forum help on making fast turns without loosing the front end. Reply To: help on making fast turns without loosing the front end.

"Reserverockhopper" wrote

[quote="Jason_B.":3rk2t8u3]

Rear braking can loosen the traction on the back tire causing it to skid around, helping to make a tight turn easier.

Trail builders will cringe to read this. It is true you can skid a corner to bring your back tire around faster and straighten out quicker, but skidding through corners really damages the trail. To save the life of the trail and to keep trail work hands riding and not repairing, avoid skidding or sliding by applying just a slight enough front brake pressure with your back brakes so that the back tire does not lock up and slide. Skidding disrupts soil, exposes roots and causes erosion and brake bumps.[/quote:3rk2t8u3]I understand that, but if it comes to me hitting a tree or the trail getting a skid mark, the trail is going to see a skid mark.

The more tools one has in their tool kit, the better prepared they are going to be.

Almost every book or video I’ve watched on cornering mentions this as a viable technique hence my mentioning it – I’m certainly not encouraging anyone to go skid up their local trail.

On another note, this also should drive home the point of not braking in a corner as braking causes a loss of traction and cornering requires good traction – can’t have both so lay off the brakes (as you mentioned earlier) and rail that turn (load or weight your bike in the turn to get extra traction).

Also learn to counter steer – great for carving a corner.

As a cave diver, I know all about conservation but one also needs to understand that if conservation was 100% your concern, you wouldn’t be out on the trail (or in a cave) at all as your presence in any form will have negative impacts (however small).