Reply To: Upgrading an old Giant…

Would agree w/ Bike Nerd… old bikes are so much lamer than new bikes, even styled out, that its like going from a horse & buggy to a Pagini – its just not even close.  So much better to just get a good new entry level bike (Polygon, Vitus, plenty of others) full sus or hardtail or just a frame now build up slowly vs. trying to upgrade bad geometry & outdated frames (which surely your bike is). Not all, but most “vintage” bike fixer uppers are just lipstick on a pig and I’ve never seen one work well for long.

You may not have funds at all for a new bike to which I say – finance it! The difference in ride quality, response, fun, speed, the places you can ride (and the buds you can shred with since no one really wants to ride w/ kooks on kook bikes, unless you’re a super shredder) is beyond palpable with even an entry level full sus (or hardtail) rig.  AND you can buy basic bikes now that are far (far) better than an upgraded 20-yr old bike at relatively affordable rates.

I can tell you from having not done enough homework myself in the past and trying to fix up some old rigs that just wouldn’t take the components I wanted to add that its just not worth it. You’ll look like a dork, they’re slower & less responsive, they break often, are less fun and people won’t wanna ride with you…it’s a waste ultimately.  I know this b/c I have buds who have lately tried to fix up their circa-2000 rigs and I’ve tried to ride with them out of kindness but ultimately 1) they just cannot hang on old gear, even “restored” and 2) they’re always breaking things – its a huge drag.

Concluding:  you wanna look at your bike and say “GD – I wanna F*** that bike!” – and if you can’t say that, you’re on the wrong bike.  I have a 2019 YT Capra that I said that with instantly, and as I’ve upgraded it over the past 3 yrs I can still easily say that about the bike…I just wanna nail it.  Its good as sex on the downhills, maybe better.  You want your rig to be your sexy soulmate & if not – move on. Life’s too short to ride shitty bikes.