Reply To: Short Travel 29er – Heavy XC/Light Trail Advice?

Watch out for “Analysis Paralysis”. Either buy what’s in stock or make a deposit and wait for the exact bike you want to come in. Which will likely be before the end of summer. Because of this crazy Covid thing, no bike shop will be able to tell you exactly when. Remember, bikes with similar travel and geometry will perform about the same. However, some might climb better or be lighter weight or cost more. But remember, bikes have gotten so good that you really can’t screw up unless you get a bike with outdated geo. Almost any new bike will be light years ahead of the bike you are currently riding.

I think the latest ~120mm travel Downcountry bikes are ideal because they are very light while still having progressive geo. I consider the Spur to be the gold standard for this group—Epic EVO, Ripley, Trance 29. Personally, I wouldn’t mind if these bikes had 100r/120f travel and a 65* HTA. Watch out for DC bikes with outdated geo like the Spark and Top Fuel.

However, the ~130mm travel Trailbikes are also quite good but they will be heavier and even more progressive. The new Stumpjumper is probably the gold standard for this group—Optic, Izzo, Trance X, Fuel EX. Ultimately, I think the geo of the Stumpjumper and the single-pivot-flex-stay rear suspension are about perfect. Watch out for Trailbikes with outdated geo like the Neuron unless you size up, saddle forward, and short stem.

For myself, I’m seriously considering the $3600 Epic EVO because I want a very light bike and that is what I can afford. However, I would “size up” because I want an even more progressive bike.

I would be curious what bike you decide on. Please repost when you choose your ride.