Reply To: Short Travel 29er – Heavy XC/Light Trail Advice?

I got Nerding out on geometry so please bear with me. Front-center is the distance from the bottom bracket to the front axle. Here are the front-center’s for these bikes.

Neuron size-L 750mm
(Neuron size-XL 782mm)
Ripley size-L 775mm
Spur size-L 784mm
Stumpjumper size-L 796mm
Spec. Enduro size-L 832mm

I put these bikes in order of least to most progressive geometry. Notice that as the bikes get more progressive the the front-center also gets longer. Also as bikes go up in size the front center gets longer. Most importantly, notice that the size-XL Neuron has almost the same front-center as the size-L Spur. If you push the saddle forward and install a short stem on the the size-XL Neuron, it would have nearly identical handling traits as the size-L Spur because the front-center is the same.

In conclusion, you have my permission to buy a Neuron as long as you buy one size up. Now, I want to buy a Neuron. Except, I already own a bike that’s nearly the same.

Most of the reason that an XC bike climbs well is that they are very light-weight and have very light-weight fast-rolling tires and very efficient pedalling suspensions. Geometry plays only a small part. XC geometry is really designed for climbing while standing. To do steep seated climbing on a XC bike, a rider needs to sit on the tip of the saddle. With a modern geometry Trailbike, the seattube is much steeper which pushes the saddle further forward and therefore, a rider doesn’t need to sit on the tip of the saddle which makes seated climbing much easier. Seated climbing is actually easier with modern progressive geometry.

The Ripley and Spur have nearly identical geometry. I think that an ~76* STA and ~66* HTA is the perfect balance between steep short XC geometry and long slack Enduro geometry. But remember, it’s really the front center that matters most.