Reply To: Short Travel 29er – Heavy XC/Light Trail Advice?

Modern geometry is more than HTA. It is also a steeper STA and a longer toptube with a shorter stem. All of these things work together to push the front wheel further in front of the bottom bracket while still keeping the fit and ride-ability of the bike. Having the front wheel further forward makes a bike descend better. If you compared a size-large Neuron to a size-large Spur you would find that the Spur has a steeper STA, a slacker HTA, and a longer toptube with a shorter stem even though both size-large bikes would fit the same size person.

The $3300 Canyon Neuron CF7 comes with a carbon fiber frame, Pike fork, and 1×12 Eagle GX drivetrain which is amazing spec for that price. I can see why you would want to buy a Neuron. Too bad the geo isn’t more like the Spur, Stumpjumper, or Fuel EX. Canyon really needs to update the geometry on the Neuron.

If you bought a Neuron you could improve the geo by doing these things. Buy a bike one or even two sizes larger than your normal size. Slide the saddle as far forward as possible. Install a shorter 32-40mm stem. If you do this right the bike will still fit you but the front wheel will be further forward.

I did this exact thing on my current Trailbike I bought 3 years ago with geometry similar to the Neuron. I’m 5’9″ but I’m riding a size-XL bike. I pushed the saddle all the way forward and I switched out the stock 60mm stem for a 35mm stem. Fits perfect but descends and climbs better than the size-medium/large bike I could have bought.

Modern geometry is one of the best improvements that have happened to Mountain bikes. It can seem like a small thing but it makes a huge difference. It’s something you are going to want if you buy a new bike. It makes Mountain bikes so much easier and fun to ride.