Reply To: Comment on USFS Rule to Block eMTB Access to All Non-motorized trails

Forums Mountain Bike Forum Comment on USFS Rule to Block eMTB Access to All Non-motorized trails Reply To: Comment on USFS Rule to Block eMTB Access to All Non-motorized trails

I hike and bike in the South Hill trails of Helena, Montana and recently saw two older guys (one was 68, one 74) on bikes, which on close inspection of the bottom bracket, were e-bikes. No batteries were visible and without looking closely I would never have known they were not regular bikes. I live a short distance from a multi-use OHV trail system a short distance south of Helena. I know when a dirt bike is approaching 15 minutes before seeing the rider.

Do they both have motors? Yes. Are they the same thing? No. Should pedal assist bikes be allowed on non-motorized trails? Opinions vary on this or this thread would not exist. I suspect there is as much rationale for excluding all mechanized vehicles, including bikes, from trails, as is done in wilderness areas, as excluding certain people (who have as much ownership of the trails on public land as anyone else) from using public national forest or blm trails.

Personally I think expanding the number of folks using these trails is the best way to ensure they will not be blocked off, sold off or otherwise restricted.