Reply To: Upgrading Hardtail Frame for light trail riding

I suggest joining and asking the CAMBA facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1465611037041784/

Ask the people who ride the same trails as you do. They can probably point you to what is in stock at the LBS too.

I am also from NEO. Sounds like you ride Hampton/East Rim or maybe Medina/Austin Badger. You may want to consider a full suspension to have a little more differentiation from your current bike. Then you will have the option to ride the hardtail for fitness or sketchiness.

When I ordered my new frame, I was about to pull the trigger on an On-One Big Dog (steel hard tail with modern geometry) but my wife said that is like your other bikes and convinced me to get a full suspension frame. She was not 100% correct because the geometry of the Big Dog is very different but she wasn’t all wrong either.

And while it is true that the downhills go by too quickly in NEO, the level of confidence on a FS with pretty good fork and shock is amazing compared to my old entry level hardtail. That said. I still haven’t broken my PMs on the Hampton Hills advanced downhill from 3 years ago, when I was training to go to Jakes Rocks.