Reply To: Drivetrain Upgrade

Okay, so if you’re going to drop the cash, you might as well go with the latest kit and go 12 speed, otherwise you’re spending money on something that’s already obsolete, and honestly it probably isn’t going to cost you any more to do so. Sram GX eagle is probably the best cost/value option. Bear in mind that if you want a full GX eagle drivetrain you’re going to need to either swap your freehub body from a Shimano Hyperglide to a Sram XD driver or buy a new rear wheel – what is your rear hub? If you don’t want to do this, you can always go the cheaper route and get an NX eagle cassette which is heavier and has less range (11-50t vs 10-52t) but fits on a regular shimano freehub body.

If you can do a full GX eagle drivetrain, you get the benefit of the new 10-52t cassette so super wide range and I think the whole drivetrain including cranks is something like $500, pretty reasonable in my eyes.

Okay so pros and cons of doing so

pros:

• Has roughly the same range as a 2x system, potentially more
  • simpler – less to go wrong
  • simpler – less to think about when riding
  • simpler – can fit an under bar dropper remote now that you’ve gotten rid of you front shifter
  • lighter (maybe)
  • Lowwwwww gearing, it’s awesome
  • Better chain retention with a narrow/wide ring and a clutch. Say goodbye to dropped chains

cons:

• In reality none, but I’ll think of a couple… I’d NEVER go back to a 2x or 3x system on a mountain bike. Seriously.
  • Longer derailleur cage so more potential to hit things
  • Slightly more finnicky to get your indexing dialled in

Your bike geometry should not affect this decision. All mountain bikes should run a 1x system bar none in my opinion. Your Process is a great bike and I’m actually surprised that it came with a 2x drivetrain. The only real consideration here is chainring size, I tend to run a 30t but I do a lot of climbing. You might want to run a 32t if your area is a little flatter (I live in BC).