Reply To: Heel pain after a long ride

Hi Oldandrolling, did your heel pain ever go away? What did you do?

I just noticed some very subtle heel pain on a 3 hour ride yesterday (granted, 9th day in a row of 2-3.5 hour rides (3K-4K elevation with steep climbs). My heels didn’t bother me when I woke up this morning, but when I push super hard with a finger, I feel a little pain on each heel bone. And if I ice they feel a little sore. Not sure if could be onset of PF. I ride a lot at slow cadence 40-60rpm on my climbs to train grinding harder gears, and never over 80rpm except on my easy ride days (2-3x/week, but still big climbs on those.) I tend to peddle mid foot with large peddels.

Also ride in 5 10s. Btw, they tend to get very flexible even if not worn, which may contribute to the problem, so going to switch to my new 5 10s, ice, elevate, stretch (which I never do), and continue riding, but at higher cadence, and see if it improves. Likely need to also reduce ride volume then more gradually increase.

I did have this problem a couple months ago when I was jogging 4 miles 2x-3x/week and MTB 3x-4x/week. I stopped jogging, iced/rested a couple days and pain went away. But now have without the jogging. Getting old sucks,  but I do realize I took a chance on injury with so many days on bike!