Reply To: Looking for some help (buying my 1st mtb)

I’m a big fan of the Salsa Timberjack as anything from a beginner bike, all the way to a loaded up trail machine.

I don’t agree with starting with a full suspension bike. You don’t learn to properly ride a lot of trails and can miss out on a lot of valuable skills. Same reason I suggest starting out on flat pedals. You may spend the rest of your mountain biking days on both, and that would be awesome, but starting on a full suspension bike is a mistake.

I personally don’t like plus tires for the long term, but beginners might like them for comfort and confidence. If you want higher performance, plus tires just don’t deliver. Versatile bikes like the Timberjack allow you to run a ton of wheel and tire options, have great geometry and respond to upgrades very nicely. Once you put your time in on a hardtail, then move on to a full suspension bike if you choose.

but they absolutely cost more to do right, take more attention and maintenance. Once you have a solid foundation on how to ride a hardtail, a full suspension will allow you to naturally progress. Suspension should be a tool, not a crutch.