Reply To: Prioritization: Frame or Components

I am currently going the build route myself but before I started that I had been eyeing up Bird Bikes. You can customize the build. I like the Aeris145, which is currently on sale. It supposedly climbs better than their 130 travel bike. https://www.bird.bike/product/aeris-am-145-shimano-slx-xt-12-speed/#configuration. The cheapest version of the SLX build is under $3,000, if my conversions are correct but I would go with the coil shock.

Since you are already on board with direct to consumer, I would take a hard look at Vitus bikes. The new Mythique tops out at $2,000 and I would probably go for that one since the lower levels use x-fusion suspension and I have heard getting parts and service for those can be challenging in the US. The top level has 140mm of travel F/R and mixed Marzocchi/RockShox suspension. This leaves you with $1,000 of your budget to upgrade when you wear anything out or for gear, helmet, clothes, rack for your car, etc.

If you want the LBS touch, I’d look at Marin. The suspension is less sophisticated (single pivot) but there is a lot of value across their line up. I’m thinking: Alpine Trail, Hawk Hill and not their crazy bikes like Mount Vision and Wolf Ridge.