Reply To: Breaking in….

I started in Sept. 2018. I have 2 bulging discs in my lower back. So I knew from the get-go I wouldn’t be riding crazy (would’ve love to though). I guess you can ask yourself what kind of riding would you like to do eventually? If you have an idea of what that would be, then that would be a good start.

In Sept. 2018, a couple guys took me out to a local trail (suited for intermediate riders) and OTB’d twice (OTB is when you go Over The Bar and crash in case you didn’t know). I borrowed one of their full suspension bikes. Here’s a few things I wish I knew/did better on:

1. Climbing: I wish the guys told me to lock out the suspensions when climbing. I was bobbing a lot, which made climbing undesirable and not fun!

2. Decending: I was shown the attack position, but it was hard for me to remember it when the track was fast and next to a cliff. I also failed to remember not to hit the front brake too hard, which caused me to OTB.

3. Don’t go too fast on the decents, especially on turns/switchbacks.

4. If you lay your eyes on an item (such as a big rock) 99% of the time, you will go toward it. Running into a big rock caused me to OTB.