Reply To: front shock pressure thoughts

I have a different perspective with bottoming on every ride. I prefer to have suspension dialed so I rarely fully bottom out with a clunk. Took me a long time to learn using full travel every ride isn’t necessarily a good indicator of proper suspension setup. Some trails just don’t require all of your travel and that’s okay. Using more travel than you need just makes you slower. It’s all about feel and making small adjustments on one factor at a time. When working on a tune and I know I’m close I’ll go 2 clicks in a direction at a time to really feel the difference then adjust accordingly. After 2 years of tinkering with suspension settings on a new (was new) bike I finally felt like I could go to any trailhead and know how to tweak it for that ride.

Addition: there is a difference between bottoming out and using full travel. Bottom outs are harsh clunks that should be avoided if possible. Tokens will help make the compression more progressive (due to a smaller air chamber) which leads to less bottom outs. It doesn’t really effect the mid or top stroke of the travel. for full travel, I find some rides I only use half of my travel and some rides I use it all and the tuning i do beforehand plays a big role in that. (I ride a 170 mm Ribbon).