Reply To: Are you riding "too much" tire?

I made the switch from riding 2.1s to plus size tires 2 years ago and it has been a great switch.  The stability provided by wide rims and tires has made a huge impact on my confidence and ride quality.

I started out on WTB ranger 3.0s.  It’s a fairly low profile tire, light and it rolled well even for a 3.0.  Unfortunately the tread wore very fast and I agree 3.0 is wider than needed.

Next I went for the Maxxis Rekon 2.8.  I think it’s a good tweaner, knobs aren’t crazy but have some bite.  I bought the silk shield version which I think is overkill.  The things are bomb proof but add about 100 gs and I never blow sidewalls either.  I’m interested in going back to a lower profile knob like the Ikon but worry how it will hold up in super loose conditions like front range Colorado.  Going to try normal Rekon+ first.

Tires are the toughest part of the bike to pick but have a huge impact.  You are always balancing grip, weight, and durability.  Luckily we have endless options to choose from these days.