Reply To: e-bikes

The e-bike topic always stirs up alot of opinions – of which, all are “part” of the conversation.  I live/ride mostly in NorCal.  I have run across a number of e-bikes on various rides/trails (even on National Forest protected lands).

Here is my perspective/opinion….

1.  Our Parks and National Forests are there for public use.

2.  Our Tax dollars pay for the support and upkeep of those parks.  Tax dollars don’t discriminate.  Everyone pays their fair share.

3.  The ruling for many parks and National Forest for “no motorized vehicles” was passed MANY years ago….  I believe in the 1970’s…?  At the time, I presume the intent of that ruling was to limit/prevent motorcycles on the trails.  I also presume that – at the time – there was the age-old argument that “motorcycles” may have been viewed as an “environmental hazard” and are too hard on the fragile trail system (a similar argument exists today on many trail systems where mountain bikes are not allowed).

4.  If a trail system allows mountain bikes, they have (at least) agreed to the “wear and tear” from Mountain Bike tires.  For the e-bikes that I’ve seen, they appear to be running the same tires that I run on my mountain bike.  So, that **MAY** diminish point #3.  (there is always the future possibility with e-motorcycles are coming – even for trail riding).  Does an e-bike do any different “damage” to a trail versus a mountain bike?

I think everyone has the right to get out and enjoy the public lands that their tax dollars pay for.  Protection of those public lands must be considered – whether that be hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, ATVs, motorcycles, etc.  If a specific trail system is concerned about environmental impact, I think the “rules” will start to shift.  It won’t be hiker/biker/e-biker.  It may very well turn to how “wide” your footprint is….?  (a factual measurement of the environmental impact).  Tire sizes may matter.  Fat bikes (or ebikes with Fat tires) may be pivot point…?  (and also be a way to differentiate between an “ebike” versus a “e-motorcycle”…?)

Just my 2 cents….