Reply To: e-bikes

You may not think getting older people out on bikes is a cogent argument for e-bikes. I can’t think of a better argument because the young folks don’t need pedal assist. The bike manufacturers, shops, and people buying up the bikes might disagree with you. Here is what Trek has to say on their website:
“On- or off-road, they’re perfect for those who want to climb faster, explore more, or just get there a bit faster.
Only e-bikes offer the flexibility to get in a workout, ride with a faster friend, haul a heavy load, or simply cruise. Even if your ride varies from day to day, an electric bicycle always gives you the option to do and experience more.”

So I am ALL for older people getting out on bikes. I just think arguing the need for mech assist for them to do so is weak. There are plenty of fantastic truck trails, fire access roads etc. etc. etc. that older and younger folks can use to get their bike and outdoor fix.

As for Trek, wellllll, I really don’t care what Trek has to say on the matter…..they are trying to sell more bikes; a huge conflict of interest!

As for Mr. Weir, my comment is, why not just use a CRF250RX and be done with it?

“But I don’t think it’s cool to look down on older people using a new technology to get out and enjoy themselves…”

Whoa, Nelly! I am Not looking down on older people. I AM AN OLDER people! 😉  While not 70, I’m on the wrong side of 50. I can’t bench press 405LB anymore….. and you know what??  I’m OK with that. Nor can I keep up with 20 year-olds on the basketball court…..and you know what?  I’m OK with that too.

That said, I still go to the gym to lift, but I don’t hang out with the powerlifters anymore. I still play b-ball now and then, but I play with folks my age and I have fun – I actually have a lot of fun…..and I certainly don’t need an electric motor to have fun.