Reply To: Reader Bike Checks

This is my factory-direct 18.5lb 29er hardtail, built up with a 1060g $400 carbon frame, an integrated carbon handlebar, 280g carbon rims, and a mixed XTR and XO1 1×11 drivetrain. I opted for a 120mm travel Fox Float 34 SC fork to slacken the HTA to 68.5-degrees and tackle technical XC trails. The bike is incredibly versatile (I’ve also ridden it in a 27.5+ configuration) and has a playful character. It’s easy to accelerate, get sideways on the berms, and riff off ruts and rocks.

While there is an exploding number of brands marketing made-in-China carbon bikes, there are still only a handful of carbon bicycle factories in China. Some of these factories recently have started to ship “catalog” frames designed in-house directly to the consumer, thus cutting out industry middlemen. These frames are becoming increasingly popular and are surprisingly affordable ($400-550 for hardtails, $500-1000 for full-suspension). I’ve bought frames and wheelsets directly from several factories, and have been repeatedly impressed by their excellent communication and commitment to outstanding aftersales service. This particular bike is just another build which proves that a great bike doesn’t need to break the bank. It costs $3000 to build this one new.