Reply To: Looking for my first MTB

I’d also suggest finding out your LBS demo schedule and their demo inventory. I don’t think I can foot stomp enough the value of taking a bike on the trail to know for sure what you like. I haven’t been riding a long time, just 12 years now but I think demoing before buying is invaluable information. I have numerous examples of friends and most recently of myself and I got burned for not following my own advice. Last fall I must have read and reviewed the Trek Stache for months and could not believe the incredible reviews it had. So without taking it for a spin other than in the parking lot I purchased one and went all out with a carbon 9.6. My LBS all rode them as well and told me how much I would love this bike like no other. 5 months later I sold the bike because I absolutely hated it. I tried to like it but it just didn’t do it for me the way my last bike did on any level. I had only sold my last bike because I had stopped riding about 2 years and I was now just getting back into it after some health concerns cleared. The stache seemed to be the latest and greatest from all the glowing reviews, which I have no doubt it is phenomenal for those that like it but man each bike is different for each rider.