Reply To: riding park and natural trails in Colorado in july?

Forums Mountain Bike Forum riding park and natural trails in Colorado in july? Reply To: riding park and natural trails in Colorado in july?

Yes, I am saying Flagstaff and say 8k feet in the CO front range can be quite similar.  I lived 10 years combined in both locations.  My place in Flag was about 7k feet and 8k in CO.  I have zero background in weather, Mongwolf is basically a forestry scientist with immense familiarity with both settings.

I lived literally in the front range mountains near Pikes Peak.   Similar afternoon weather patterns, afternoon thunderstorms.  Similar temps as well.  Flag is basically 68-85 Farenheit  for highs and low 50’s for lows in July with Monsoon storms.   I grew up in Phx so the 85 F temp is relative for different folks, for me no problem.  On the CO end, lets say you are in a Mtn town, it will be a bit higher than Flag, I would guess the range for Temps would be 62-79 F avg range.   The temps will be about the elevation.  The top of the highest peak in Flag is 12k+  and as you know, 14k ers abound in CO.  If you are in a town in CO that is 8k, but you are exploring the surround mtns, then yes it will be much cooler, you can be riding around at 10k easily in CO.

You could plop Flagstaff in CO and would not know it is AZ.    When you ride in basically Sedona or lower, then you start hitting the hot summer temps.

Have fun.  Both are God’s country in my opinion, awesome…