Reply To: What confuses you about the mountain bike industry?

lawmanfl, maybe I can answer some of your questions. 1) Sellers on eBay and Amazon of unmarked frames are often dropshippers, go to Aliexpress or Alibaba and buy directly from the source.  These suppliers provide 2-year warranty, and in my experience they deliver on it (twice now and I’ve had almost 10 frames). Extensive MTBR threads on chinese frames also show that they deliver on warranties, very well, in fact. 2) Giant makes frames for other “manufacturers” because they own a factory in Taiwan and offer Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) service, but there are other factories that don’t have a name-brand associated with them that are much larger and sometimes run even better. It’s just like Kenda making Bontrager tires, no different, just more markup on a Bontrager than a direct Kenda tire. 3) The vast majority of North American companies do not have any engineers on their team, they feed geometry, aesthetic designs, and frame specs to the engineers in Taiwan and the frame is designed AND built in Taiwan. Exceptions are Ibis, Specialized, Trek (to some extent), Santa Cruz, and a few boutique brands. Chinese factories prefer to build their own CAD models so they can control the mold opening process–if you don’t have your engineer there to open the mold they aren’t very willing to cooperate. 4) Glad you’ve found a brand that stands behind their products, I’d encourage you to ask reputable Chinese companies how they stand behind their products–they are looking for ways to please, and have amazing confidence in their product quality, I do as well.  My credentials: somebody who tried all of the above.