Reply To: Can't decide between bikes: Trek Remedy 8 or Fuel EX 8

Not sure if you are still looking, but I was in the same dilemma as you this season. I was honestly all set to drop $5k USD on a Yeti or Carbon Rocky until I demo’ed a 2017 Trek Fuel EX 8. I loved the bike, but the guys at my shop all ride Remedy’s so I was able to try one of those, as well. I ended up going with a 2018 Remedy 8, and I love it. Like you, I ride mostly less aggressive trails, but there are a few steep and rocky trails (Western Pennsylvania) and some drops around that I wanted to try. I can tell you that I am not afraid to point the Remedy down any trail I have tried yet. It is quick and nimble – does not feel like a 150mm bike (until you need it). I have no issues getting it off the ground when I want to (also from a BMX background).

That said, it is not a one-quiver bike. The Fuel does climb a bit (only a bit) better due to the steeper head tube and 29er wheels (also not interested in plus bike), but like with most 29ers you do need to pick your lines earlier. I went off the trail a couple of times because I found it hard to make quick line changes. The Fuel will plow surprisingly well over some rough terrain, but not as well as the Remedy. Also, on longer rides I do have to stop from time to time on the Remedy to give my back a break – it has a bit more aggressive riding stance than the Fuel. However, I should point out that I have terrible back and hip flexibility issues, so this is probably just an issue with my body. The climbing difference is only a big deal if you are more focused on that aspect of a bike. I would rather simply get up the hill and then be able to blast on the downhills.

I really think you will be happy with either. Both bikes have their pros and cons. If you are more interested in a bike that climbs well, descends very capably, but is geared more toward a relaxed riding position and more moderate speeds, then go with the Fuel. If you want a fast, nimble bike that likes to get rowdy going downhill, go with the Remedy. You may not see how rad the Remedy is until you really get it up to speed, so be honest with yourself about how you like to ride.

But with all that said, I agree that getting on the bikes for a demo is the best way to find which fits for you. Just trying to add my 2 cents in case you can’t get on them.