Reply To: Recommended platform shoes for rides with extensive hike-a-bike sections

I did the Colorado Trail starting July 25th.  Because of a bad wreck, I had to quit in Silverton.  Very frustrating to be so close to the end.  I ended up just using my regular mountain biking shoes.  I used my pair of Five Ten Freerider VXI shoes.  I was worried about them being slick in the rain, but was pleasantly surprised.  They worked really well through all the hike-a-bike sections.  I only struggled with traction a couple times the whole trip, and these areas would have caused problems no matter what shoe you were wearing.  It rained on me nearly every single day.  So much so that it actually began affecting my moral by the end of the trip.  Despite the constant rain, the shoes held up really well while having to push the bike.  The main issue with these shoes is the weight.  They also retain water well and dry slowly, making the weight even more of an issue when wet.  Don’t expect them to be dry by morning after a wet day.  Sole durability is a little low.  I’ve owned them for a little over a year and will need to replace them soon.  The pins on my pedals have left gouges in the soles, and the sole is beginning to separate around the inside edge.  I’ve used them for mountain biking, as well as just shooting around town on the bike or on foot.  Hope that helps.