Reply To: Camping in/near Salida CO

Re: cyclosaur

I didn’t end up going two weeks ago but I was in Salida over the weekend for a backpacking trip with my wife.  We stayed at O’ Haver campground the first night and then hiked into Hunt lake for an over-nighter.  A couple thoughts:

O’Haver campground was packed.  We took a spot from someone who didn’t use their reservation…we got lucky.  I would opt to find somewhere else to camp if its on the weekend.  Otherwise, I suspect you’d be fine there.  It was a nice campground.

The trail we did was a portion of: https://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/cdt-monarch-pass-to-boss-lake—hunt-lake-trail.html

It was an awesome trail for hiking and I’d prepare for some serious hike-a-bike.  There were definitely areas that were impassible by bike as we were   post-holing for a good portion of the hike.  We ended up doing the 4 mile stretch coming in from the North and hiking Southwest.

Good luck with your adventure! Hopefully the snow is all melted if you were trying to get some high alpine riding in.  That was our first time in Salida and the town was amazing.  So far it’s my favorite town in Colorado.