Reply To: How to master a "twitchy" bike

I agree with the above advice. I feel that my bike is quite twitchy since it has a bogus suntour front suspension. The best tactics that I can relay:

1. When taking banked turns or even simple weaving through trails, transfer weight to the outside pedal.

2. try to focus your weight on your pedals, don’t sit, don’t over-weight yourself into your bars, stay light and let the bike undulate over the terrain while transferring as little as possible into your core. use your limbs as shock absorbers.

3. remember that it usually doesn’t matter where your body ends up leaning around the bike as long as your bike holds the path you intend. Look at your target path, line up your tires, throw your body around the bike as needed to hold that line.

4. head up and plan ahead, it’s easier to prepare for terrain when you’ve known it’s coming for a longer time.

5. Find your limits. It’s healthy to crash a few times under controlled conditions just to find out where your limits are on descents, hard braking, speedy turns.

6. Finesse will happen naturally. For example, don’t practice rear skidding drift style turns, that stuff will start to happen as needed. Keep to the basics and before you know it, YOUR basics will suddenly be quite a bit more slick than where you started.

I’m no pro, but from one intermediate to another… hope this helps.