Reply To: The Rise of the YouTube Celebrity

I watch pretty much everything from Brian, Seth, Alexander, and Phil. I also like GMBN, but their self-imposed obligation to publish a new video daily has started to lead to forced and/or repetitive content.

With that said, I like them all for different reasons.

My take on each of the channels I follow:

Brian has outright acknowledged that his videos are not for everyone.  He is his target audience.  As a 34 yr old professional (although i feel weird typing that. I often forget that I’m perceived as having an ‘important’ job…) who doesn’t hesitate to say “fuck” in front of his 3 yr old, and who fancies himself an aspiring XC racer, I can relate to Brian the most out of those guys.  But Brian has a lot fewer obligations than I do.  I love that he’s making ends meet by riding and filming, but I couldn’t do what he does.  I am sure I couldn’t support the aforementioned 3 yr old, or her baby sister doing what he does.

Seth’s bike hacks is the only channel of those listed where my wife (not a rider) will watch along with me, and remain entertained.  Seth has greater appeal to non-riders, which is ultimately HUGE for the sport.  Talking about tacos and trail dogs is a big part of that.  Voice-overs, music backgrounds, and obscur(ish) topics keep things interesting.  Without looking, I bet only 1/4 of Seth’s videos are actually primarily about riding a bike.

I can’t find a label or simple descriptor for Alexander, and I expect he’d like that.   The guy reminds me of my brother (who quit a job with Boeing 3 years ago, and currently trades labor for lodging, and leads mountaineering trips on the side), crossed with Jesus, crossed with that annoying fucker who always seems like he’s had 2 coffees before you’ve gotten yours poured.    I find Alexander to be inspiring and positive.  It’s also cool that he rides bikes pretty well.  His is more of a “lifestyle” channel than a mountain bike channel.  He’s said it a few times, but he’s “building a community.”  Mountain bikes are what they have in common, but “live free, ride hard, get stoked” is the real mantra.   For whatever reason, I can’t get my 3 yr old to repeat that on camera…  Then again, I’m probably better off without her repeating much of what I say, given my propensity for casual cursing.

Phil has the most riding knowledge, and I think he’s the best about staying “on-topic” with his videos.  “Skills with Phil” almost limits what he can post, but I find his explanations and advice helpful.  I think a lot of us forget he’s 26.  I was a goddamn moron at 26.  I may have even gotten married that year 😛  Phil has been smart enough to realize that professional downhill racing isn’t a great career move, but it’s a good way to generate YouTube fans, and remain relevant in the riding scene.  I think Phil stands to be an amazing resource, because he’s an exception to the “those who can’t do, teach” assumption so many people make.  This is only a ‘second career’ for Phil, because his first career as a downhill racer started so early.

They all have likeable personalities.  That’s really what will keep people watching. Plus they aren’t SO famous that they’re annoyed by attention (yet?)