Reply To: XC Race Bike

@rk97, I don’t know if a purebred XC race bike is any faster, surely not with me in the saddle. So here’s the joint as far as I go. I’m an odd human probably, but I am a purpose driven human, as in the last 25 years my purpose has been my children. Now that they are all raised and on their own, I need a new purpose. I rode and raced MotoX and BMX back the 70’s and 80’s… loved it, in the late 80’s I joined the Corps(purpose driven decision) and discovered MTB’s on the west coast as a bonus. Man they was the coolest things ever, rode em’ for a few  years then kids, bikes went away because I had a new purpose. Last year to fill the “empty nest” void I picked up a rig and started riding again. At that time the purpose was to get into shape and kill some time. Well, I guess just riding for just for fun doesn’t quite fulfill my internal needs and I have a couple friends that race XC, endurance and that seems very appealing to me. Also with that, I have no brains usually and the “purpose” thing comes back to bite me. The purpose of a slacked out trail bike is to basically get stupid in my mind, then I get hurt, usually pretty bad. Now, the purpose of a purebred XC rig is to race, keep it a bit more under control with the end goal of maybe placing decent. Yes I can purchase race and get hurt on about any bike , but I will ride said bike accordingly, the XC with more reservation, the slack trail rig like a fool. So, as I try to internalize my “end goal”, I was just inquiring here as to the possibilities of XC rigs, as there’s very experienced folks here that give good info. Hopefully this all makes sense, it does to me. Meanwhile the journey continues.