Reply To: Anyone buy a bike from Bikes Direct?

I bought the FSX 27.5 “Gravity” full suspension model in August.  ($449 USD)

I’ve got about 400 miles on it so far, this is what’s broke:

1. Headset is shot, need a new one.   Too loose or it binds, no happy medium.

2. Front cranks bent. ( sun tour ).  I straightened them with a spanner.

3. Mech Disc Brakes, they are a pain.  Constant adjustments and sometimes it starts squealing during a ride.

4. Pogo Stick rear shock.  I replaced it with a DNM that was .5″ longer.  Works great.

5. Both original tubes have been replaced, high desert and cactus.

But for my first mountain bike at age 45, I’m happy with it.  It’s been crashed pretty damn hard so far, and it gets 90% off road or single/dual track trips,  very little asphalt or pavement.  It is kinda heavy, but I don’t care for just exercise and fun activities.

Since it’s winter, I haven’t had a lot of miles on the new shock yet.  Waiting for a little better weather to try that out.

http://bikeshopwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/BSW_STOR20.cgi?Action=Details&ProdID=567

If I were to do it again…..

I would get the one with the tapered 1.125->1.5″ head tube.   Better fork shock upgrade options in future.   I’d also get one with a wider seat post diameter, at least 30mm, 27.6 is too hard to find a decent dropper post.  If I decided to upgrade the bike, I might just order the frame from them and get a new fork, rebuild the whole bike.

I’d rate it 7/10.

I think I’ll put those mechanical dual caliper brakes on the rear, since that’s the one that squeals the most when you are just trying to bleed off a little speed.  Full braking it’s fine, but just trying to loose a little speed, makes a hell of a noise.