Reply To: Busy Lives Call for Faster (Electric) Bikes–Retch!

Is the a place of e-bikes, sure.  I share trails with trail runners, horses, and dirt bikes on occasion;  being passed doesn’t hurt my ego.  In my opinion, the only person being impacted by riding an e-bike is the person riding it. If they aren’t sweating the climb, the have lost some of the essence of the sport and have become more removed from nature.  Maybe it is where I live and the lack of smooth beginner trails, but I just don’t see this being a big problem on the trails I ride, pedal assist or not. They simply are not going to appeal to someone without endurance and skill.  My big concern is from a marketing/future technology standpoint the logical goal is more assist and less pedal, and at what point do you stop claiming it is a bike.  I just saw an ad for the Rungu Juggernaut. Yeah they don’t claim it is bike, since it has throttle and weighs 80#, but to most people it is a mutant bike, but still a bike, and since mountain bikers have already been stereotyped as a bunch of Red Bull addled Go Pro wearing bros, the last thing we need are more reasons to stereotype us as “mechanized.”