Reply To: Installing a dropper post on a 2016 Giant Anthem X 29

I’ve just also bought the 2016 Anthem 29.  I also bought the Giant 100mm travel dropper post as part of the deal/package and will be doing the install myself in the next couple of weeks.  Like yourself I would prefer to run the cables through the frame.

As you know from looking at your bike the majority of the cable routing is actually internal on the 2016 model (wasn’t on 2015 I beleive).

From having a quick look at my bike I think you could get a second cable through the existing hole in the down tube.  I then hope to route internally all the way from there as there is no suitable entry and exit point.

If this is at all possible the bottom bracket would have to come out during fitting.  My worry is that there might not be enough room for the cable to pass the bottom bracket after reinstalling, especially as there are some unused lugs across the top tube which might be for installing a dropper post maybe.

Annoyingly the manual that comes with the bike does not cover the best route for the 29er.

The giant dropper post can be installed with cable internally or externally as seems to get ok reviews for its price.  So I have both options.

Now I just need to work out what tools I need to remove and re-install the bottom bracket!

Any help on that would be appreciated …. or if anyone has done an internal install on the 29er.