Re: Bike advice

Depends on what you want to ride. I have both HT and FS. The HT is more efficient for smooth trails. The FS is great for rough single track. There’s a trail I ride here at McDowell Mountain. It is extremely rough. I’ve done it on both bikes. I will usually crash at least once on the hard tail because the rear wheel will catch air in a turn or just plain eject me from the bike. By the time I’m done with the loop on the HT I’m exhausted and my back hurts. On the FS the wheels stay on the ground and there’s no being ejected from the bike problem. Also I can ride the trail far faster, including climbs, than on the HT and when I’m done I’m not exhausted and my back is fine. For smooth trails the HT is more efficient. So if you’re going to stick to easy smooth trails, get the HT. If you intend to hit some serious single track get the FS.

"MKantor93" wrote

I am getting back into mountain biking and am about to upgrade my 20 year old bike. I mostly ride trails with short climbs and some roots and rocks. I am 6 foot tall an 225 pounds. Not sure if I go hardtail or full suspension. Money is a little of an issue but would rather spend more for the right bike then be unhappy. Since I have been away for a while just looking for some tips. Thanks.