Re: Specialized threatens small bike shop with trademark law

"dgaddis" wrote

You’re in the minority. When most cyclists hear "Roubaix" they think of the iconic spring classic race, Paris-Roubaix, which starts in Paris and finishes in, you guessed it, the town of Roubaix, after traveling several sections of "pave" (ancient cobblestone roads). The bike is named after the race, which is named after the town.

Other interesting info.

Fuji has a line of bikes called the Roubaix, which they’ve had a long time before Specialized came out with their Roubaix.
Challenge tires has a tire called Paris-Roubaix.
FMB also has a tire called the Paris Roubaix

These are actual bicycle products from bigger companies, that people the world over are aware of, and yet the douchebags in the SpecialEd legal department went after a little shop in Canada. You know why? Because they know he wont fight back, he doesn’t have the resources. THEY’VE DONE THIS SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE.

Epic Wheelworks is now Sugar Wheelworks thanks to Specialized.
Epic Designs is now Revelate Designs thanks to Specialized.
Epic Ti is now EverTi thanks to Specialized.
They went after Mountain Cycle’s Stumptown bike, which was named after the city of Portland (aka Stumptown).

Some further reading:
The Explainer: Because I @#$%ing hate bullies
Social media explosion over Specialized’s Roubaix lawsuit

Specialized makes some great products. Sorry, design great products (I don’t think they’ve ever actually made ANYTHING themselves, EVER). But their legal team is a bunch of douchebags, and the way they go after small businesses they know can’t fight back, that pose no threat to them, well, I wont be buying another Specialized product again.

So true, so very true!!! I cannot blame you with you latter sentiments, as I am with you on this one. I DO NOT nor WILL I EVER support such a company as Specialized whom use such unethical practices & tactics against smaller business that are absolutely no threat to such a big corporation. I would love to see the town of Roubaix in France file a lawsuit against Specialized. One thing for sure, I will never have a junk a** Specialized bicycle in my fleet. They are soooooooo overrated anyways!!! 😉