Re: Bikes for 6′ 4" 300lbs?

I’m 6’5", ~240ish and I ride a 23" 2004 Giant Yukon (HT) Disc that I picked up on eBay for $200 shipped about 2 years ago. FWIW, I have a 34" inseam and fit perfectly on this thing. I was the only bidder possibly because there are not as many taller folks looking for old bikes. It was in excellent shape and the PO claimed he never rode it, hence the sale, and it showed! I used it mainly as a commuter almost daily for 18 months (~30 miles/day) on the nasty sidewalks/streets of the NE ATL Burbs and have since re-configured minor things (seat, seatpost, crank & tires) for mostly XC Trail riding. I have beat the crap out of this thing both on and off road, and with the exception of replacing the stock wheelset, have not had an issue. Other mainentance items like chain, shift/brake cables & pads were expeted.

Since I’m not sure exactly what you’re looking for in a bike, I thought I’d offer my $0.02 on the subject as I had similar questions when looking for my first "good" MTB. From what i’ve learned, this frame was built all the way up to 25" and it’s a great starting point for upgrades. I have never weighed it, but it is noticibly heavier than my friend’s 19" 2003 GT Avalanche 3.0 if you pick them both up to compare. I suppose the addtional aluminum contributes somewhat as does my "fat-man-approved" Rhyno Lite wheels.