Re: Biking back to back to back days

"treky92" wrote

Has anyone done anything like this or have any tips for fast recovery for the muscles?

I’ve never done anything like this, so I probably shouldn’t be giving advice. But since no one else is giving it … If you can have someone meet you at your campsites, make sure that person brings eggs for muscle recovery and some form of starchy food—potatoes, bananas, peas, beans (black and pinto), etc.—for energy. Chocolate and cheese are both great high-energy foods and should be included as well. Eat the cheese after/during the ride and the chocolate before/during, and lean toward dark chocolate rather than Snickers bars.

The thing is, you can replenish glycogen stores to some degree, but it’s going to be difficult to repair muscle damage with back-to-back riding. Try to keep the intensity down early on so things don’t get too catabolic. Have beef jerky with you and munch on it throughout your rides—keeping your protein needs satisfied should make a big difference.

And give yourself plenty of time to wind down before you turn in for the night so you get a good night’s rest. That’s all I’ve got. Best of luck! Make sure to share a ride report somewhere so we can see it, eh?

Edit: If you don’t want to bring a bunch of melted chocolate bars with you, GU makes a dark chocolate energy gel with thick Belgian chocolate in it. I’m a little more partial to the mint chocolate version, but that’s my preference.