Re: Questions from old roadie, mtn noob

"Jared13" wrote

For the ledge (spot #1):

Have you walked your bike up the ledge to see how much clearance you have? Your bottom bracket will be a bit lower when you’re on the bike but you might be able to find a good line by "sessioning" this section off the bike.
It looks like you have SPD pedals so you’ll have an "easier" time getting up it because you can "cheat" by pulling the bike up will your legs instead of learning to bounce the rear tire off the ground.

For spot 2, momentum is your friend. I’m not sure what is before this spot, but if you can get a run at it, you won’t have to pedal so you’ll be less likely to catch a pedal.

For spot 3, it’s kind of hard to see what the ground is like, but can you swing to the right?

Once you are able to clear a problem spot, it’s one of the coolest feelings in the world.

I’m going to take some more pictures, but Spot #1 is going to be tough for me. It isn’t as high as I thought, so I do think eventually… I’m going to have to develop some neglected upper body strength and practice bouncing the bike. I increased the pressure in the rear shock, but the fork now seems too squishy. I think it came out of the box set for a rider 50lbs lighter than I. Yes, I am clipped in.

On number 2, the problem is that the pedals won’t both clear at 9p/3p. Maybe at 10p/4p. Almost tried it today but chickened out. I’m already bashing my pedals on rocks when I don’t expect it.

On number 3, I think I ought to be able to do it — which is I why I fell twice. 😢 I need to see if I can’t get left of the pointy rock – right of it would be a ditch. It is a narrow gap right past it and then a quick pull to the left.